Monday, February 1, 2010

Grammy Bombast

The Grammys used to have poise and grace. It was about rewarding the
best in music for a year. But last night's show was just bombastic.

I see the point of having more performers than awards given out. It's
now like a celebration of the year in music -- where there are
sing-alongs and big showstoppers. But last night was too much -- too,
too much. Lady Gaga looked ridiculous. Stevie Nicks came out of
nowhere to duet with Taylor Swift -- but forgot how to harmonize.

Leon Russell? Roberta Flack? I love them, and I love nostalgia, and I
love veteran artists. But they added nothing to an already bloated
show.

Even DMB needed to add a choir and strings. That actually ended up
sounding nice -- making a bad song tolerable -- but it seems like the
Grammys are now more about filling a stage than respecting music.

As for the winners? Swift -- as much as her songs are catchy -- did
not produce the year's best album. I think DMB did -- but Gaga's
record had a bigger impact that Taylor's. I also was surprised to see
Gaga get shut out of the top awards.

I was actually excited by this year's Grammys. The nominees were
eclectic and fresh. But the show? It was kind of like a headache
having a hart attack.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment